The Culture and Tourism Area of the Ancient City of Taizhou, located in Linhai City with a total area of 3.12 square kilometers, consists of such scenic spots as City Wall of the Ancient City of Taizhou, Ziyang Street, East Lake, and Jinshan Hill. Ever since the establishment of Taizhou in the fourth year of Emperor Wude of the Tang Dynasty (621 C.E), it has been always the seat of Taizhou government. Linhai has enjoyed long the reputation of "the Small Zou and Lu (the hometown of Confucius and Mencius)" and "the State of Culture".
Taizhou City Wall, reputed as “the Southern Great Wall”, was first built in the Eastern Jin Dynasty, extended in the Tang Dynasty and finalized in the Song Dynasty. As a rarely seen ancient construction with unique features, standard structure and good preservation, the city wall has a dual function for both defense and flood prevention. Listed as a relic under the state protection in 2001 and in the preparatory list of China’s World Cultural Heritage in 2012, it is lauded by Luo Zhewen, an expert of Chinese ancient architecture, former honorary president of the Great Wall Society, as the model of the Great Wall in the north built in the Ming Dynasty.
Ziyang Street, running through Taizhou City from north to south, was named after Taoist Ziyang, or Zhang Boduan in secular name, the founder of the Southern Sect of Taoism. Stretching 1080 meters, it is the most prosperous commercial street in Taizhou’s history and one of the well preserved historic blocks in China. In 2012, it was named “Famous Chinese Historic and Cultural Street” by the Ministry of Culture and the State Bureau of Cultural Relics. In 2013, it was awarded by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-rural Development the prize of “China Model Habitat Environment”.
Located in the east of Taizhou Prefectural Capital, East Lake was dug during the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) for the navy to anchor ships and station troops. In 1071, Qian Xuan (1018－1085), the Magistrate of Taizhou, dredged the waterway into a lake and opened up a garden. Yu Yue (1821-1907), a great scholar on the studies of Chinese ancient civilization, writes in his poem, “In Hangzhou there is West Lake, while in Taizhou there is East Lake which is like a small West Lake.”
Jinshan Hill, also known as Jinzishan Hill, is the symbol of Linhai. Legend has it that when Taoist Huanghua became enlightened and rose to heaven, he left his towel here, which turned into this hill. With two peaks and four pagodas, the Hill is situated by water and surrounded by the city. Rich in historical relics and inscriptions of historical celebrities, Jinshan Hill is the terminus of “the Route of Tang Dynasty Poetry” in East Zhejiang.